Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympic dreams

I can’t help it. I watch the Olympics and get choked up every time.

There is something about people from all over the world coming together to compete that appeals to my sense of community and belief in the inherent dignity of men and women regardless of national origin.

We know that opportunities for athletes differ widely from country to country. But when the Opening Ceremony begins and the flags are held high, carried by young men and women who are the best in their sports in the world, my eyes well up and any modern-day cynicism falls away.

During the 16 days of competition, I watch the events I like the most, such as figure skating and skiing. But I always learn about other sports that I have never paid attention to before, and I enjoy the segments that highlight the lives of some of the athletes. It is amazing to learn about the obstacles that many of them have overcome in order to pursue their passion.

My daughter and I travelled to Atlanta to attend the Olympics in 1996. I couldn’t let the opportunity pass us by, so we stayed with a friend while there and attended what we could afford. We still talk about that trip with fond memories all these years later.

I also used the Olympics as a teaching tool when I was a geography teacher. What better way to symbolically travel around the world than through the spirit of the Olympics, with its focus on all the countries, their cultures, land, and history? I can’t help but think those lessons might have also taught a bit of respect for those who are different from us.

So, here I am again, watching the Opening Ceremonies and trying not to weep in front of the cats. I hope we can set aside our national rivalries for the duration (I don’t even like the medal count) and bond as human beings who revel in excellence, sacrifice, and hard work.

Let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment